Nine persons serve on the St. Philip’s vestry each for a term of three years. Every year three persons complete their term and we elect three new members. A nominating committee consisting of the off-going vestry members will present a slate of three names for election to the 2018 vestry. This election will take place at a called parish meeting in September 2017. Nominations from the floor on the day of the meeting will be accepted if the person to be nominated has previously been informed of and consented to the nomination. The newly elected members will be commissioned and begin their vestry in January 2018.
Don Huddleston, Tommy Leonard, and Arlene Nanney are the retiring vestry members and will be the nominating committee. If you have suggested nominations please give the name and contact information to one of these retiring members.
Qualifications for Nomination
- A member of St. Philip's;
- Faithful in worship, unless for good cause prevented, and faithful in working, praying , nd giving for the spread of the Kingdom of God; and
- Sixteen years of age or older.
As you discern who might be called to the work of the vestry please consider the following:
- Is this person regular in worship attendance?
- Does this person regularly attend and actively participate in the events and life of the parish?
- Does this person participate in spiritual formation classes and opportunities?
- Does this person demonstrate growth in and attentiveness to a life of prayer?
- Is he or she committed to personal spiritual formation?
- How present and involved is this person in parish life beyond Sunday worship?
- Does this person tithe or, if not, is he or she intentionally working towards a tithe as the standard for financial giving;
- Does this person have spiritual depth and strength?
- Does this person show a willingness to grow and learn?
- Does this person have a history of following through on assignments?
- Is this person open to new ideas?
- Does this person show a readiness to listen?
- Does this person show mature judgment?
- Does this person freely express her or his own ideas?
- Will he or she commit to the following responsibilities?
- Attendance at all vestry trainings and each monthly vestry meetings?
- Participation in financial and administrative decisions?
- Service as vestry person of the month?
- Attendance at vestry retreats (at their own expense)?
- Attendance at vestry workshops or called meetings? and
- Attention to the concerns, questions, and requests that are directed to the vestry by the congregation, staff, or community?